So, as I mentioned in the previous week, when I launched the game, I sent out a few tweets, messages etc to try and get people to play my game so I could gather some feedback. In the last few days I have received a huge amount of feedback and have had to create a google sheets doc to keep track of all the feedback I have received (available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1D1RvDZEozLfUjMt0P-3qOIJf-GW5H02qZXLYnIZZE1g/edit?usp=sharing).
Within a day of launching Hex Disarm, someone had already completed all 50 levels! Therefore, I knew in this update that I had to add many levels in order to keep my users in the game.
To summarise the main points were:
- Visually pleasing
- Easy to play
- Relaxing music
- Like the hot and cold dynamic
- Fast paced
- Upgrade on minesweeper
- Very addicting
Points of improvement/bugs:
- Infinite ads after going back to level select screen
- Colour of the bombs sometimes appear incorrectly
- Too many ads
- Should add a random mode that generates the grid again when you detonate the bomb
- Should add an animation when completing the game
- Improve the tutorial
- Improve loading speed between levels
- Difficulty scaling can be improved
- Add a different colour when the bomb touches 2 or more bombs
- The start of the game is a bit boring
After receiving this feedback, I took it all on board and starting developing version 1.0.1. In this version I made these changes:
- Added 150 new levels
- Added a ‘random’ mode for an infinite amount of levels and that it generates the grid again when you detonate the bomb.
- Added an extra animation when level 200 is completed.
- Added a new colour when a tile is connected to two or more bombs
- Adjusted the difficulty curve for the first 50 levels
- Fixed an issue with the colours of flipped tiles being incorrect when disarming bombs
- Fixed an issue where adjacent bombs would not disarm correctly.
- Other minor bug fixes and optimisations
Here are some gifs/screenshots that show the changes in this update:
150 new levels:
Random mode: https://gyazo.com/9dcd84c51fb5c8b5b93f41443b6f7893
New colour when a tile is next to two or more bombs: https://gyazo.com/f110733cc1ad6335ab495eaabecf80ec
Fixed issue with adjacent bombs not disarming correctly: https://gyazo.com/b27d181cacaae48af1c09ba1f6f7edb1
Fixed an issue with the colour of flipped tiles near bombs: https://gyazo.com/bf042d55f7dfda221a942453ef12c27c
I released this update on the 31st October.